Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Blood and Thunder!

Some stuff is made of metal.

Other stuff is not.

By the same token, some stuff is metal and other stuff is not.

For example, going to the Cook Islands (or Rarotonga as the islanders say) is not in itself "metal".

However, the local $3 note (minted circa 1992) is. This is because the graphic on one side of the note is of a naked chick riding a shark.



When I first saw it it gave me a good old case of the Blood and Thunder*.

Today, I can't find this note among my meagre possessions stowed in a 70's-esque brown suitcase that I keep hidden in my parents house. Perhaps it returned to the ocean... I know not where it went.

But this I do know:

If the mighty Mastodon had been around in 1992, then on that island, out there in the Pacific, some personal metal planetary alignment would have been initiated along the western spiral arm of our galaxy.

And possibly, indeed it seems highly likely, the gravity of the situation would have caused me to fold in upon myself, and I would have simply blinked off like a light.


* If you are not familiar with the work of Mastodon, you'll likely need to read the lyrics for their Leviathan album.

No comments: